Miles’ report must have worked, because a few days later I was told that I’d be reporting to the Eldritch Department’s Management Committee to tell them what I’ve seen happening to time. They’re apparently the people in charge of this whole place, so they’ll be the best qualified to deal with the issue.
I was really hoping meeting them would mean I’d get to finally leave this facility, but no. They came to a council room within this facility. Well, at least I got to see a new part of the place….
Agent Flint and Dr. Miles escorted me to meet the committee. There were seven of them in total. Mostly old rich looking white men. They resembled politicians more than any of the hardened monster hunters or researchers I’ve usually seen in the Eldritch Department. Some scientist I hadn’t met briefed them on the various disappearances which have been happening around the world, though judging by their bored looks, they already knew most of what he was telling them. Then it was time for Miles to introduce me.
“This is I-330, or Entity #361. She has some insights into the cause of the disappearances which may help us.”
My initial impression of them as just politicians may have been a bit too fast. Before I could really delve into the meat of the subject, I had to explain the basics of how the multiverse worked, and how I worked within it (saw Miles taking notes. Bet he was happy to finally hear me telling the truth about all this.) And not only did they understand what I was telling them easily, they were open to accepting what I said.
“So, these various timelines you see are, in practice, essentially parallel universes?” One asked after I finished.
“Basically yeah.”
“And if what you’re saying is true, then that means that several universes have already been destroyed. And these disappearances mean that our universe will likely be destroyed soon. Hm.” The committee had a few moments of hushed discussion before one spoke again. “Then, do you know the cause of this destruction?”
Shit, that was the question I was hoping they wouldn’t ask. Time for some fancy wordsmithing…. “There is a theoretical location, known as the Center of the Multiverse. If it were to be destroyed, it could potentially cause cracks similar to what I’m seeing spread across the entire multiverse.”
“Do you know what could make that happen?”
“…. No.” If they realized I was lying, they didn’t show it.
More hushed discussion. “Is there a way to reverse this?”
That was the big question, wasn’t it. The one I’d been thinking about the past few days. “I think so.” That brought looks of relief to their faces. “I once met someone with… similar abilities to my own. He talked a lot about the destruction of the multiverse, but he also talked about recreating it afterward. I know my powers are stronger than his, so I think, if he was able to do something like that, I should be able to reverse this.”
“Excellent! Then we just need to let you do fix this, and everything can return to normal?”
“Well… no. Not… exactly. I might have been stronger than him, but he was more aware of what our abilities could do, and how to control them. I think I can reverse this, but I don’t know how to do it.”
And suddenly that relief was gone. “Well… could we use this man you’re speaking of for assistance instead?”
“I… kinda sorta stabbed him and ate him alive.”
“Then there is no way to stop this?”
“Not at the moment, no….”
It was like I’d crushed that brief hope they’d gained right back out of them. One reached for a glass of water in front of him, and took a sip. The water had barely reached his lips before he froze and started shaking. The glass fell out of his hand, and his whole body twisted as he screamed in agony. The guards ran toward him, but he froze before they could reach him. Then, he slowly resumed his old posture, straightened his suit, and looked over the room with cool eyes. The guards had been trained well enough to instantly know what had happened, and they all drew their guns on the man.
One spoke into his radio, “A committee member has been infected by EAT, I repeat, a committee member has been infected by EAT, requesting immediate backup!”
EAT raised a hand and calmly spoke. “Relax. I am not here in order to create conflict.” It looked at the remaining members of the Management Committee. “To answer your previous question: Yes. There is a way to stop the Quiet from destroying the multiverse.”
The silence that statement created drew on for several moments until a committee member asked, “How?”
“I am currently speaking for majority of the remaining Fears as I deliver this message. We are willing to assist humanity and protect them from the Quiet, under one condition.”
Someone scoffed. “What? You want us to become your slaves and make you rulers of the world?”
“No. We will not ask for what we already have. The only condition we ask in return for ensuring the survival of humanity is that you give us Nyarlathotep.”
“….. Who?”
EAT pointed at me. “It has likely told you that its name is I-330, but its true name is Nyarlathotep. It is an Outer God which was sealed by the Slender Man within the Quiet, until it broke out by destroying the Center, directly leading to the current state of affairs.”
Shit. Shit. Shit. Okay, that’s not… exactly how it happened, but it was a lot closer to the truth than what I’d told them.
“And what will you do to… Nyarlathotep if we give her to you?”
“We will remove it from the universe. Until now we have attempted to prevent the spread of the Quiet through manipulating the chain of events to our advantage, but Nyarlathotep’s attitude of spontaneous destruction has prevented those measures from succeeding. As such, we have determined that the only solution is to erase its existence entirely. If Nyarlathotep were to never exist, then the chain of events which we have tried to prevent will never begin in the first place. Once we have performed the task, you will not even notice the change. This entire incident will be forgotten: we Fears will resume ruling the multiverse, and you may resume pretending you are capable of opposing us.”
A lot of people in the room took offense to that last bit, but not enough to make them not consider the idea. The committee was scared, and EAT was offering an easy way out. I started to worry that they’d accept its proposal. Damn glowy symbol things on the handcuffs were preventing me from teleporting away…. I could probably disarm one of the guards and use their gun to get out of the room, but I couldn’t fight my way out of this whole facility with these cuffs on… and there’s no way I could fight EAT while limited like this….
“We don’t negotiate with Fears.” Thank god for Agent Flint, coming in to save my ass! “Never have, and I don’t think we should start now. And why the hell should we trust you, anyways? All this time terrorizing humanity, and suddenly now you want to be buddies with us? I’ll trust I-330’s story over yours; if she says she doesn’t know what caused this, she doesn’t know what caused it.” Yeah! Thanks for the support, Flint! And… the guilt. Oh god the guilt. This is how karma comes back to kick you in the ass, kids.
A member of the committee spoke. “Agent Flint is correct. Our job is not to negotiate with Entities, it is to protect people from them. Besides, if all of reality actually was threatened, you Fears wouldn’t stand to the side and let it happen. You’d stop it, if only to save yourselves.”
EAT nodded. “You are correct. We do intend to protect the multiverse whether you agree to our offer or not. However, failure to accept our conditions means we will make no attempt to protect humanity.”
It paused to let that sink in.
“You have until the Quiet fully reaches this universe, and its cracks appear in the sky. By that point, it will be too late to prevent its spread, and your race will be doomed to its fate.”
The body it had been possessing fell forward, unmoving. Water leaked out of its eyes and ears, dripping into the floor and seeping away.
A containment squad was soon sent in to deal with the water, but that was just a minor side note by then. The Fears have delivered their ultimatum. Hand me over, they save humanity. Protect me, they let humanity die. For now, it looks like the Eldritch Department’s siding with me. But if I can’t figure out a solution quickly… well….
Let’s just say I’m trying really hard to figure out how to get out of these cuffs.
No comments:
Post a Comment