Friday, March 8, 2013

The new containment facilities for I-330 were significantly more secure than her previous hospital room. Two men, one in a suit and the other in a lab coat with a bandaged head, walked down a hallway, having to pass through several well manned security checkpoints. The man in the suit spoke as they went through another checkpoint. “We’re estimating that the gas should be wearing off soon. This time we want to try actually talking to it instead of having it beating up all our security forces.”

The other man nodded, but appeared uncertain. “Are you sure you want me here? I’m still just a junior researcher….”

“You’re also the first person it saw when it woke up. Some people are hypothesizing it may react better to a familiar face.”

“It gave me a concussion as soon as it saw me.”

“I didn’t say it was a very good idea.” He glanced at the security camera on the ceiling. “Really, I just think the senior staff is too scared to be in the same room as it after what we saw it do yesterday, so they picked us to be the little sacrificial lambs.”

A final steel vault door was opened, and they stepped inside. The walls of the room were plain utilitarian metal, covered in lights shaped like various sigils. I-330 was in a straitjacket, suspended mid-air by several chains attached to the walls, ceiling, and floor. Guards stood around the perimeter, each with their rifles trained on her.

I-330 stirred as the two entered, and then opened a red eye. She tried to move, but found herself bound by the jacket and chains. She looked over the room, and focused on the two men in front of her. The one in a suit stepped forward and began to speak. “Finally waking up, I see. Why don’t we-”

“Let me down, human.”

The voice that came from her mouth didn’t fit her feminine appearance. It was deep, and filled with inhuman authority. The entire room shook under the power of her words, but the suited man didn’t flinch. “Sorry, but I can’t do that.”

I-330 roared. “Let me down, now!”

This time the room shook with enough ferocity to throw the suited man off his feet. Some of the guards lowered their weapons, and one began to fumble with the chains attached to the wall. The other guards pulled him away; for a moment he struggled, then he stopped, looking as though he had just woken up.

Seeing the failure of her command, I-330 looked down and sighed. When she looked back up, her eye had become bright blue. And this time, her voice did not carry terrible authority, but was merely the voice of a human. “Alright. Where the fuck am I?”

After the suited man got back on is feet, he spoke. “That’s a better attitude. I’m agent Flint, and this is Dr. Miles. You’re currently being held by the Eldritch Department.”

“What, you people are government?”

“In a way.”

I-330 laughed. “Oh, well, this should be easy. Just call the Scoobies, they know who I am.”

“The who?”

She looked at Agent Flint as if he’d admitted to not knowing what air was. “The Scoobies? The Para-Universal Beings Defense Agency? Come on, I know Lisa didn’t wipe them all out.”

When his expression remained confused, I-330 sighed theatrically. “Of course I get captured by the stupid government organization. The Para-Universal Beings Defense Agency, aka the Scoobies. The biggest paranormal branch in the CIA, one of the biggest in the US government. Founded in 1971 by presidential order under President Nixon.”

“President who?”

This time I-330 was the one who looked baffled. “President Richard Nixon. 37th president of the US.”

Agent Flint glanced at Dr. Miles. “Doctor, do you remember who the 37th president was?”

Miles hesitated for a moment, then said, “I believe it was Hurbert Humphrey.”

I-330 gaped at them for several moments. Then, she slowly started to laugh. “Of course!” She said. “Different universe. Parallel universe, I guess. Things are going to be different here.” She grinned madly at the two men. “Hello! I’m I-330. I’m a time traveling monster hunter from another universe that was just destroyed.”

A long silence fell after that remark. Then, Flint nodded slightly. “I’ve heard less plausible things before. Dr. Miles, what do you think?”

“Well, we’d need more evidence than just her word for confirmation. And there’s still the issue of her arm.”

“It’s demonically possessed.” I-330 lied easily.

“And the glowing red eye?”

“I suffer from extreme chronic pink eye.”

Agent Flint tried to cover his laughter with coughing.

“Well, now that we’re getting along so well,” I-330 said, “how about showing a little kindness and letting me out of these chains?”

The coughing laughter cased, and Flint’s eyes narrowed. “You’re very determined to get out of here.”

I-330 shrugged, causing the chains to jangle. “Not that I don’t like the kinky stuff. But I’m sure you and I could have more fun with my hands free.”

Flint chuckled. “Sorry, but I’m happily married.”

“No problem. I’m sure I can talk your wife around to my point of view.”

“Who said anything about a wife?”

It took a moment for I-330 to catch the meaning. “Ah. I see. Seduction isn’t going to work on you, is it?”

“Not even a little.”

I-330 looked at Miles. “What about you, prettyboy?”

Miles flushed deep red, but Flint stepped in front of him. “The scientific staff isn’t allowed to fraternize with people from different universes.”

Dr. Miles whispered to Flint, “Is that actually a rule?”

“It is now.” Then, to I-330. “Regardless of how much you want to get out of here, we can’t release you until we can accurately determine whether or not you represent a threat to humanity. If you are cooperative, I can provide you with better quarters than this. But you will still be kept under guard.”

I-330 shot the agent a killing glare, but he didn’t waver. Finally she said, “Alright. I’ll play along. What do you want?”

No comments:

Post a Comment