Thursday, June 14, 2012

June 14, 2012 - A God Damn Hospital

532

As I type this on the phone I “borrowed,” I am trying to stare down the flower bouquet next to me. It’s proving a formidable foe. Eventually it will break me down and I’ll be forced to read the card that came with it. But I plan to go down fighting.

Lisa dropped it off earlier today. She may well be the only person in this hospital still nice to me. That might be my fault; flipping off those nurses when I caught them staring at me might not have been the best way to make friends. But I’m sick of everyone treating me like a show. Gather round, let’s all look at the girl with the weird name who miraculously survived those suspicious injuries! If I didn’t feel so weak, I’d be out of this place in an instant. Maybe I’d go to ancient Greece, find some festival honoring Dionysus. Actually, anyplace with a lot to drink will do. Maybe that will help stop the shaking. According to the doctor, I’m suffering from “withdrawal like symptoms.”

“Well no shit, now someone get me a bottle of scotch before I start breaking peoples’ noses!”

It’s comments like that which have really made me popular here.

Maybe I could ask Lisa to sneak in something for me… no, that’d be taking advantage of her kindness. Which I’m pretty sure would be wrong.

Aaaand now I’m feeling guilty for ignoring her during all her visits. It’s not her fault things are all weird between us. Hell, she doesn’t even realize that there’s any weirdness at all, beyond the usual temporal stuff. And I doubt she’d believe me if I tried explaining that I was her from the future after my old body was destroyed and some vague unnamed entity gave me a new one. Even ignoring how outlandish that sounds, she’s never exactly been the quickest on the uptake regarding time travel.

I suppose I will read the card. Not like I’m going to be getting any other well wishers while I’m here.


I-330

1 comment:

  1. You know, when you start feeling better, you should really go try to kill that Hitler guy. Might cheer you up some.

    ReplyDelete