I’m
not usually the type who skips to the ending of a book to see what happens. But
in this instance, I just can’t stand to sit around and wait for everything to
happen chronologically. So I skipped ahead several years and binge read all the
reports the Scoobies had gathered on Grendel or the Esoteric Order of Dagon.
Most
was related to the cult investigating ancient ruins, performing Dreamland
rituals, or buying excessive amounts of black market weapons. Their rituals for
the Dreamlands shift slightly in the late eighties; according to the reports,
people and material would disappear during the rituals. The conclusion which
was found after several interrogations was that they were somehow physically
moving them into the Dreamlands.
Also
interesting was a report that the Order of Dagon had attempted to kidnap
members of the Carter family. The attempt failed, but it told me that there are
descendents of Randolph Carter around. And if the Order’s interested in them,
perhaps they’ll know about the Dreamlands.
So
I did what I usually do, and appeared at their front door. Rang the doorbell,
and a blond, middle aged man answered.
“Allan
Carter?”
“Yes?
How may I help you?”
“I’m
I-330. I’m trying to save the world and stuff, so I need you to help me with
some stuff regarding the Dreamlands-”
I
had to move fast to stick my shoe in the door before he could slam it shut. “I
already talked to you government people about that!” He said. “I don’t want
anything to do with it!”
He
pushed, dislodging my foot and closing the door. Well that certainly wasn’t
polite. So I teleported inside.
That
made him jump. “How the hell… no, I don’t’ care, I’m not getting involved in
any of this!” Surprisingly unflappable, considering I’d magically appeared
behind him. Guess he was too busy trying to force me back outside to care.
Another
voice came in. “Hey Dad, what’s all the shouting about?” A young girl… 12 years
old? Yeah I’m going to guess 12… had entered.
“It’s
nothing, Virginia. Nothing. This woman was just leaving.” He had the door open
again, and was trying to pull me out it.
“Not
until you help me with the Dreamlands.” I emphasized.
“No!
Just get out! My family’s had enough trouble on account of my grandfather’s crazy
fantasies!”
He
pushed again, and I was back outside. I was beginning to dislike that man.
The
trip was starting to look like a dead end. I glared at the door to make myself
feel better, even though I knew it was pointless. Time to leave….
Something
hit my head. Looked down and saw a marble. Who the hell collects marbles these
days….
Ouch,
okay, that was another one hitting my head. Looked up to see where they were
coming from. A window on the house’s second floor was open, and Allan’s daughter,
Virginia, was leaning out. She tossed a note down. Grabbed it, and it read, “I
know about the Dreamlands. Come by tomorrow night at 9.”
Well.
Isn’t that interesting. Let’s pop ahead a day and find out what it’s about.
I-330
No comments:
Post a Comment