Thursday, October 11, 2012

August 11, 1986 - Paris, France

238

You’d think, as a time traveler, I’d get the opportunity to rest every once in a while. All I’d need to do is drop in a nice, peaceful year, and relax. Just me and the bed, without any outside interference.

Why is it that things never happen as peacefully as I want them to?

I’d been staying at this one apartment for a while. It was a nice place. Very fancy. Those stocks I bought a few decades back were working out wonderfully when it came to covering investments; it does so help to have hindsight already with you when you’re making the trades.

I might have stayed there too long. The joys of luxury were simply too alluring for me to want to leave. So I stayed where I was, enjoying the simple pleasures, letting my mind be taken off… recent events.

Until the window of my suite was smashed open by dozens of strings which proceeded to tear the room apart.

At least it proved my reaction speed’s still good, as I was able to dive off the bed and find cover before the strings could grab me. As I hid behind the pieces of what had been a couch, a coquettish voice drifted through the shattered window. “I fooooound you, Time Girl!”

Carried by its strings, the Wooden Girl floated through the window, landing in the center of the room. It twirled around in its red dress, giggling as more strings lashed out from it and knocked aside my cover. I dived behind a chair, but that was tossed aside as well. Tried making a break for the door, but had to dodge out of the way of more strings, and dove behind more cover.

“Oh no, you’re not leaving yet!” The girl said, walking toward me. “Not after I worked so hard to find you. I’ve been looking for you ever since you punched my head off, but you’re a very difficult person to track down. It’s almost like you’re trying to avoid me!” Strings rose from the ground at my feet, and I barely jumped aside before they could grab me. “It’s a good thing I found a friend to help me out!”

The temperature plummeted. Ice formed on the floor, and then rose from the ground in the shape of the Cold Boy. The Girl draped a wooden arm over the Boy’s neck.

“Blue Boy’s been so very helpful. He has a knack at finding people who feel lonely. Which means you were like a beacon to him!”

I felt cold frost spreading across my clothes. The Girl lightly slapped the Cold Boy’s hands. “Ah ah ah, patience! Once I’ve had my fun with her, then you can kill her!”

I was running out of cover to hide behind. Trying to grab timelines with one Fear nearby is hard enough, but with two….

A bullet from outside smashed through the Cold Boy’s head, shattering it. Another bullet followed, going through the Wooden Girl’s head. Neither were really harmed, but the distraction gave me the chance to sprint past them and jump out the window.

It was quote a drop from that window. And the ground was coming up really fast. I kept reaching for timelines, but was still too close to the Fears. 4th floor went by… 3rd floor… shit shit shit the ground was getting really close….

Only a few feet away from splatting all over the ground, I gained enough distance from the Fears to teleport out of there. Phew. So what have we learned today? No matter how comfortable it may be, don’t stay in one place too long, or you’ll get found. Looks like I’m going to be getting even more nomadic than I used to be. During those rare times when I do need to sleep, I’m going to be doing so in a different location each time. Maybe even set up a few safehouses for me to resupply at when needed.

But first, I’m going to get a rifle and shoot the Wooden Girl and Cold Boy in the face.

I-330

No comments:

Post a Comment