Sunday, September 30, 2012

December 15, 1952 - Siberia, USSR

702

It probably wasn’t a smart move, going to Siberia in the middle of the winter. But I had been paying more attention to the location than the date when I warped in.

It’s pretty fucking hard to track down these orbs. I can faintly sense their presence in time, but it’s so buried underneath all the other stuff going along the timelines that I can only pinpoint them if I already have an idea of where I’m supposed to be looking. Which means I spend a stupid long amount of time just digging through old books to find any mention of magical glowing rocks.

Adventure! It involves a helluva lot more reading than I thought!

Landed as close to the orb’s presence as I could. Middle of a snow covered Taiga, with trees stretching for miles and miles. Had no bearing to exactly where I was, except for a vague sense of which direction the orb was. Followed that feeling through the woods. Damn it was cold. I really need to think about getting some winter clothes. Later.

The forest was disquietingly empty. No sign of humans. None of animals. Just snow.

The monotony was finally broken by a small wooden hut, thrown together by anything on hand to resist the cold. I could feel the orb inside it, calling to me. I went up to the shoddy door, and knocked.

The door opened slightly and a pair of eyes peered from inside. A man’s voice came out, saying… something. Shit, I really should have learned Russian before coming.

Time to have fun with the language barrier. “Hello, I’m I-330. I was wondering if you had seen any magical glowing rocks nearby. I need them to rip apart spacetime and save my girlfriend.”

I don’t think he understood a word of that. But that didn’t seem important to him. As I spoke, he opened the door further. He looked like a wild mountain man, with a huge beard that covered most of his face and a thick fur coat. He stared at me with surprise, and a little bit of awe. Slowly, he reached a hand toward my face, but I slapped it aside. That didn’t dissuade him, and he grabbed both of my hands. Which would have led to him getting a lot of broken bones, but I was too distracted by the huge smile on his face and the stream of Russian coming out of his mouth. Next thing I knew, I was being pulled inside the shack and sat down on a hard wooden chair before a rickety table. I would have gotten right out of that chair, but then he put a bottle of vodka in front of me and, well, it would be a shame to disregard such hospitality….

He kept talking the entire time, without me understanding a word, as he attempted to tidy up the place. Not that there was much to tidy; it was an extremely Spartan home. Only the barest of necessities: a bed, a table, a small fire, and not much else. The only thing which seemed like a luxury was the surprisingly ornate silver chest by the bed.

The man was still talking. At least he was friendly, still had that smile, and even got his own bottle to drink. Guy was so happy he was practically crying, constantly offering me any food or drink he had, and slapping me on the back as if we were ancient friends.

Finished the bottle. Had a great time listening to him trying to cram several years’ worth of conversation into a short time. But I still had work to do. I could feel the orb nearby, I just couldn’t pinpoint where. I tried asking about it, but his English was about as good as my Russian. Didn’t want to tear his tiny home apart to find it, but I would if I had to. Now where the hell would it be hidden here….

… Well. Duh. The chest. Of course. The only place that reasonably could hide anything in such a tiny place.

The moment I touched the chest, I could feel I was right. At that same moment, the man freaked out. Not violently, but he seemed extremely insistent that I put the chest down. Sorry, but I wouldn’t be leaving without it. Tore the lock off, and inside was a perfectly spherical glowing stone.

Before I could leave, the man grabbed a hunting rifle and pointed it at me. His aim was wavering and there wasn’t much conviction in his eyes. He didn’t want to shoot. But to be safe, before he could pull the trigger I ripped the gun out of his hands and snapped it in half.

The small fire instantly went out, and the house became dark and cold. A little boy’s voice crept in from outside, singing, “All the world is falling down, falling down, falling down, all the world is falling
Falling
Falling
Falling
Falling…”

Ice began to spread across the walls. The man collapsed and curled into a ball, sobbing and muttering to himself in fear.

The ice covered the door in a thick layer, thicker than conventional means could break. Trying to trap me with the same trick as when I first met the Cold Boy.

But I’m not the weakling I was then. And I can’t afford to be stopped.

I smashed through the door without breaking stride.

The Cold Boy was waiting for me outside, standing amongst the trees. Ignored it. Its time will come. But for now, focus on the task at hand.

I-330

No comments:

Post a Comment