Sunday, September 9, 2012

May 15, 1973 - Washington D.C., United States




95

Well I’d investigated the Dreamlands. Time for my second objective: Figuring out why a government agency was treating me like a ranking officer, and why they knew about Grendel.

They’d called themselves “Scoobies,” which I remembered being the original name of Lupine’s organization. So I was looking for a paranormal CIA group.

Popped back to the year 1973, because I feel that any adventures with shady CIA groups should take place during important years in Project MKUltra’s history. It sets an appropriate atmosphere.

I do find the security measures around 70s era buildings to be laughably simple. Even easier to get through than 21st century stuff. So getting into the CIA’s stuff wasn’t too big a deal. What was a big deal was searching through all that stuff for their records on the Scoobies. I thought, hey, government agency, gotta keep records on everything. And I did find a ton of interesting (but useless) documents, but barely anything on the Scoobies or Jacob Marchetti. Which probably should have tipped me off a little to what I was going to find, but at the time I just thought it meant they were really, really good at being classified. The only tidbit of info I managed to find that was any use was an address for their headquarters.

They didn’t have an office in the CIA building, which surprised me at first. But I suppose it makes sense not to keep top secret branches in public buildings, though. I expected they would locate the Scoobies in some super hidden bunker complex in a heavily fortified location outside of town.

But when I went to the address… well… not quite what I’d had in mind. It wasn’t a top secret bunker. At all. It was a single story building in a rundown part of town. Well… maybe it was a very cleverly disguised secret bunker?

After going through the front door, I realized that this had to be the best disguised bunker I’ve ever seen. Or more likely, it was a regular rundown building in the middle of the city without any secret complexes underneath at all.

There wasn’t anyone around when I came in. Looked like someplace that had just been moved into, with a lot of unopened boxes and only scarce furniture. Perhaps this was the wrong place? No, the address checked out….

Heard noise from further inside, so I pushed aside some boxes and went to check it out. More boxes there, but there were also people. Five people. A woman at a typewriter, and three men being lectured by a fourth with bright red hair. The topic of the lecture seemed to be about federal funds, and why they should only be used on federal things, instead of, say, ski lodge vacations.

The red haired man… he was much younger than the last time I’d seen him, but I could see some resemblance. Plus it helped that there had been a picture next to his name in the files.

“Jacob Marchetti?” I said to him.

The lecture was put on hold so he could address me. “And what do you need?”

“My name is I-330.”

Blank stare. “Is that supposed to mean something to me?”

Damn. That usually works. New strategy then. “Okay look I could try the whole subterfuge route and attempt to trick the information I need out of you, but I’m realizing that I’m probably not very good at that. So I’m just going to be blunt and get to the important part. No I’m not part of the government, I’m basically a freelance paranormal fighter. And I’m kinda trying to stop someone who might be planning something big involving awakening ancient beings capable of wiping the world clean of life. So it would be really nice if you could get together your Scoobies and help me put a stop to all that nonsense.”

I think that took them by surprise, because no one said anything for a while before Jacob spoke. “Get together our… what?”

“The Scoobies? That’s your group’s nickname, right?”

“… That’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard all week. We’re the Central Intelligence Para-Universal Beings Defense Agency. No nickname. Now crazy lady, thank you for briefly amusing us. But I’m going to need to escort you out of here and take you to some people who are going to be very curious how a civilian knows so much they shouldn’t know.”

He put his hand on my shoulder to lead me out. And I did what I usually do when people try that. Well, I held back a little. Didn’t want to break his arm. But a second after touching me he found himself thrown onto the floor.

The atmosphere in the room suddenly became serious. “Alright ma’am, you’ve just assaulted a federal officer…” Jacob said as he got up, “That was a big mistake.”

Well. This certainly wasn’t working out like I had planned. Maybe if I told them that I was really, really sorry we could start over at square one….

Or maybe not. Jacob looked like he was shifting into a fighting stance, and the other men were reaching for their side arms. Perhaps running away was going to be the best decision here….

Then, as the tension seemed about to explode in gunfire and violence, the phone rang. The woman at the typewriter picked up the phone and listened.

“Mr. Marchetti?” She said. “It’s Mr. Schlesinger.”

Schlesinger? That name sounded familiar… wasn’t he… wait, wasn’t James Schlesinger director of the CIA during this time period?

“What? Why’s a bigwig like him calling?” Jacob said.

“ He’s asking if we have a woman named I-330 here.” She glanced at me, I waved, and she said “Yes,” into the phone.

Another pause as she listened. “Um… he says to do whatever she asks us to do.”

“He what?”

Well wasn’t that interesting. So it seems a future me warped to Mr. James Schlesinger and made him call this place with those orders. Genius, I-330, genius! I’m so glad I thought of that! Totally what I had planned out from the beginning, honest!

“Well you heard your boss!” I said. “I get to be the one giving orders now.”

The silence of disbelief spread through the room. Jacob relaxed very slightly. “Sofia, call Mr. Schlesinger back in a few minutes and confirm that order.” He said to the girl at the typewriter. “Alright, ‘I-330’. I’m still not sure I believe what that call said, and won’t be until we get confirmation. But while we wait, what is it you want us to do?”

Not very trusting. But I could still work with it, so long as that didn’t get in the way. “I need you to bring your organization together, so I can do some investigating. How many agents do you have out in the field?”

A few chuckles from the others. Glared at them, but couldn’t tell which had laughed. “Ma’am?” Jacob said. “This is the entire organization.”

“Just the five of you?”

“I’m afraid so.”

What. What. But… I mean… what. When I ran into them in the 80s, they had helicopters and military grade equipment. In the 21st century they had massive underground bunkers and enough power to go rogue from the US government. How the hell did they get there from… this?

“But… I checked the records, you guys have been around for two years!” I was grasping for some kind of silver lining here. “Surely you’ve got more than this?”

“Well if you’d come a few weeks ago we would be in a slightly larger building. But that was taken over for paranormal research purposes by another group. Which is basically our entire history: getting stuff taken away by larger government agencies. Just five months after our founding we already had most of our staff and money transferred to the big players. We can’t do shit against people that have been around long enough their founding has Lincoln’s signature behind it.”

“So then what is it you do?”

“Clean up the scraps. Anything too small for the big leagues to waste resources on, we’re given.”

“… Any chance a vast international conspiracy led by an immortal trying to awaken sleeping gods happens to be one of those scraps you were given?”

He laughed at that. “No, nothing like that. Think much smaller. Like cleaning up all the webs after someone else had a fight with a horde of giant spider monsters.”

I could feel my hopes sinking down. But there was still hope that I could get something out of this, right? “Do you guys at least have archives with any information you’ve collected?”

The grin he shared with the others did little to raise my hopes. “Archives? Yeah, we’ve got something like that. I can take you to them if you really want to look at them.”

Not much. But the best I’d gotten during this whole trip. “Yeah, take me to them. Maybe I’ll find a tiny clue in there….”

I’m really hoping these archives have something in them. Or else this trip is going to end up as a complete waste of time.

I-330 

No comments:

Post a Comment