Friday, May 11, 2012

The Raid


I’m writing this from a hospital. That should probably tell you everything you need to know about how well the raid went.

The whole thing started as planned. Several SWAT teams were to storm New Innsmouth, arrest the Innsmouth Reconstruction Foundation leaders, shut down the Esoteric Order of Dagon, and then bulldoze the entire place. With them gone, one of Lupine’s biggest sources of money would be cut off.

In practice, my support role meant there wasn’t much for me to do. I just had to stand around in a black van pretty far from the action, watching other people keeping track of the operation in progress. Followed it as best I could through the radio reports; at first, things sounded like they were working. The cultists had been caught by surprise, with most inside their homes at the time of the raid, and they were surrendering without resistance. Some tried to run, but they were caught by the men waiting around the perimeter.

Just as Jacob Olmstead was being subdued, the screams started to come over the radio. One by one, the reports from the SWAT teams were replaced by horrific screams of pain. When they finally stopped, there was a moment of silence across all channels. Then, a familiar voice spoke.

“Hello, Lisa.” Grendel appeared inside the van. “How’s life?”

One of the radio operators started to stand up; Grendel swung at him, crushing the man’s face in a single punch.

“Come on, let’s ditch these losers.” Grendel grabbed my arm, and the world spun around me. Next thing I knew I was on the ground somewhere. At first I couldn’t tell where, due to the immense pain coming from my gut. I’d never felt anything like it before, this spear of pain stabbing through me. Colors were flashing in my eyes, and I threw up a little blood.

“Oh, don’t be such a drama queen. So part of a kidney didn’t complete the trip with you. It’s not as if you were going to be using it much longer, anyway.”

Tried to answer, but more blood came out of my mouth.

“And there might be some slight damage to the rest of your organs, but nothing a few stitches won’t fix. Come on, chin up girl. It’s not as if I’m planning to kill you here.”

Started getting a look at what “here” was. We seemed to be in an open field, from which New Innsmouth was visible. Based on our location relative to it, I realized we were on top of the place where the bay had been filled in.

“This is the third time your government’s tried destroying the Order of Dagon. First they blew up the reef, then they destroyed the bay, and now they’re just arresting everyone. All futile, of course. They can’t stop what’s sleeping here.” Grendel stroked the ground, and I heard a muffled roar from below us.

“I’m sure you’re wondering why I’ve brought you out there.” Well, yes, especially after he claimed he wasn’t going to kill me. I’d have asked earlier was I not busy being in horrible pain. “Simple. I’m here to warn you. Your plan isn’t going to work.”

Tried to say “What?” Pain caused the word to come out as a questioning grunt.

“Lupine isn’t going to stand by and let you defeat him like this. Oh no, that would be much too easy! We’re going to see a lot more bloodshed before his role is over.”

I finally managed to string together words into a sentence. “Why… are you telling… me this?”

Grendel shrugged. “Why? Because that’s how the script goes here, you see. I warn you. You don’t believe me, not until it’s too late. I get to laugh at you, and then you finally decide to follow my advice. That’s how the chain of events goes.”

“What?”

He flashed his sharp toothed smile. “Oh, you’ll see. Now, if you will be so kind as to excuse me, I believe there are still people back in town who I have yet to murder.” Then he was gone.

I was picked up an hour later by a rescue squad the FBI sent in when it became clear the mission had gone to hell. No one else made it out alive. All the cult members who were arrested have vanished, including Olmstead. And I’m stuck in a hospital as I recover from all the internal injuries I’m suffering.
All in all, I think that could have gone a little better.

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment