Monday, May 7, 2012

Interview


I’ve never been driven anywhere with a police escort before. Or ridden in a helicopter. But the FBI’s going all out with their precautions here. Lucy and I were flown to the top of a building in downtown Washington D.C., where a group of people in suits were waiting for us. I was already nervous when I got out of the helicopter, and it only became worse when they took both of us into separate rooms. It took a lot of effort to keep myself under control there.

The room had a chair for me to sit on, and several more men and women in suits behind a desk. Almost looked like a job interview. The moment I sat down, they started on the questions about the incident in Chicago. I… did a horrible job answering. I think only half of my words were understandable. The rest were nervous squeaks or stutters. I could see them getting impatient with me, which only made me more panicked, which made my responses even more disjointed and useless….

Finally, I tried closing my eyes, and pretending 330 was with me. I think it helped. A little. I still wasn’t the best interviewee, but at least my responses were coherent.

After several more questions, I mentioned that if they really wanted to know the full story, they could just read this blog.

“You’ve been recording this all on a public blog?”

“Y-yes… is that bad?”

“Show us.”

I gave them the URL, and they went to the page. It loaded up, and they stared at the screen for a few moments.

“It’s just a white screen.”

“What?” I said. “But… it’s right there! I can see it! ‘Mephi: The Eternal Revolution’!”

They refreshed the page several times; each time, I could see my blog, but they only saw a blank screen.

“It’s there! You have to believe me! Why would I lie about having a blog?”

For the first time in the entire interview, I saw one of the suits smile. “Of course we don’t think you’re lying. You forget who you’re talking to; we’re used to this sort of thing. It just means that something’s interfering with our ability to perceive this webpage, and that is definitely something we need to look into.”

I think I spent another two hours in that room after that, telling them as much as I could about what 330 and I had uncovered about Lupine. Managed to overhear some of the comments they said to each other between my answers. Here’s the ones which seemed most interesting to me:

“Summoning Slendy through cracks in reality? What the hell does the Quiet have to do with the Slender Man?”

“Pull up our file on this Grendel guy… what do you mean we don’t have a file on him? How can we not have a file on someone like that?”

“The Archangel helping her...? Louise wrote a report on Archie’s activities in the past few months; see if it has anything which could explain that.”

“Ha! I-330’s a time traveler. Called it. You all owe me twenty dollars.”

When the interview ended, they thanked me for my help, and showed me to the room I would be staying in. It was in the same building as the interview, and had guards all around the door. Lucy’s got a room across from mine; seems they want us both close together where they can keep an eye on us until the testimony.

Yeah… the testimony. A few hours after I gave my interview, while I was still getting used to my new room, I got word that the FBI now wanted me and Lucy to be witnesses for a secret Congressional committee discussing Lupine’s budget. First I have to give my story to the FBI, and now congressmen? God, what have I gotten into…. Wish me luck, I guess.

-Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Of course they can't see this blog. You think I'd allow just anyone to read this? Heaven forbid. We might get all sorts of riff raff in here if I let them all in.

    ReplyDelete