Friday, December 28, 2012

September 8, 1888 - London, England

873

This has been a weird orb. Still not entirely sure it’s even here.

The only lead I had was a letter from the time period, where the writer said he’d overheard something about a magical orb at a party. Which really isn’t much, but Slender Man had been destroying every other orb I’d investigated before I could reach them, so it was my only option.

When I arrived in London, I could sense the orb… kinda. It wasn’t there at the time, but I could sense that it would be there in the future. Which was odd, because every other orb I’ve found has been hidden somewhere, not moving around. If I could figure out the exact date I’d just skip there, but all I’ve got is a vague feeling of coming potential.

Now if this were a more entertaining timezone, I’d be content with sitting by to wait for it to come. But Victorian London? Ew. Everything is so straight laced and uptight. Even the seedy underbelly I’ve heard about is a letdown, after all the excitement of the 21st century.

I amused myself as best I could. Read the original A Study in Scarlet. Spoiled the endings to all the Sherlock Holmes books that haven’t been released yet. Got a plucky young chimney sweep for a sidekick and prevented a death cult from releasing occult destruction upon the British Empire. Fought crime.

It was while I was doing that last one that things started to get interesting. Noticed a lot more Scotland Yard people in the area than was usual. Decided to investigate.

Popped inside the building they were centered around. Ugly sight in there. A woman’s throat had been slashed twice, and her abdomen cut open. Two investigators were on the scene, looking over the body. They were discussing the crime, but their discussion quickly changed into “Who the hell are you and how did you get in here” once they saw me.

I could have answered them. But that wouldn’t be any fun. “Yup, that definitely looks like a dead body there. Wait, mutilated woman? 1888? Ooh! Is this Jack the Ripper? I always planned to solve Jack the Ripper. That and JFK. I just never seemed to get the time to get around to it. You’d be amazed how many Fears are potentially involved in JFK’s death. The Scoobies have a file a mile long on it. Will have.” Noticed the confused stares I was getting. “I’ll leave you to your forensics. Do you guys even have forensics yet? Not the point, I’ll just be back later.” Quickly stepped outside.

It was only an instant, but when I stepped out the door, in the corner of my eye I saw a night gaunt on the roof. It took off and flew away before I could get a good look at it, but it definitely had been there.

Interesting. Very interesting. I’m still annoyed by these delays, but now I’ve got something to work on while I wait for the delays to be done with. Let’s see where this leads.

I-330

No comments:

Post a Comment