Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Apparently my Enemies are Super Villains


I’d noticed that 330 had been acting odd for a few days now. Almost seemed like she was trying to delay our trip as much as she could short of physically preventing it.

That suspicion was confirmed when, just a day away from the Louisiana state border, she sat me down and said, “What would I need to do to convince you to give up pursuing the Order of Dagon?”

Well that came out of nowhere. “Why?”

She started to speak, stopped, started again, “It… it won’t end well for you if you do.”

“330, do you know what’s going to happen?”

She nodded.

“What?”

Didn’t answer.

“Do you know what they’re planning to do?”

Nodded again.

“What is it?”

Again no answer.

“330, what would happen if I don’t try to stop them?”

She paused for so long I thought she was ignoring this question too. “The human race will be wiped out.”

That… was not what I expected. I knew they were a suspicious cult, but destroying humanity? That’s not creepy cult; that’s straight up super Hitler territory.

“There... there’s no way I can ignore something like that” I said. “Wiping out the human race? There’s no way I can stand aside and not try to stop them.”

“No. You couldn’t, could you?” 330 looked down and laughed. “I’m just being my selfish self again. Holding a single person above the whole planet.”

“You’re not selfish!”

She looked back up to me. “You have no idea how selfish I can be.” Without warning, she grabbed me by the shoulder and kissed me. And for a time the entire preceding conversation was pushed out of my mind.


Later that night, I was lying awake in bed, staring at the ceiling. I’d thought 330 had fallen asleep next to me, but then she started to speak.

“Nothing I say is going to convince you not to go, huh?”

This time I was the one not to answer.

“Alright.” She rolled over to face me. “Fine. I know exactly where they’ll be and when they’ll be meeting. I can take us straight there. But… when we get there, I need you to do exactly what I tell you to. No matter what happens. Can you do that?”

“Yes.”

“Alright. Just remember: Exactly as I say.” Then she rolled over and went to sleep.

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment