Monday, November 7, 2011

330 didn’t come back at all last night. Peter and I got worried enough that he went out to check; when he came back, it was only to report that 330 was still in the library, behind a wall of ridiculously old books.

It wasn’t until this evening that she finally returned. When I heard the door open, I went over so I could talk to her. But she wasn’t exactly in the most conversing of moods…. Reached the entrance just as she was closing the door. She locked every lock on the door, even the bolt and chain, quickly looked out the peephole, grabbed the small stack of books she’d brought in, paused just long enough to smile and say hello, then rushed off into the living room, all before I could form a sentence in my head. When I checked on her in the living room, she was doing the same thing she’d been doing at the library: looking over several books, occasionally writing something down in a notebook. I didn’t want to distract her, but I needed some of my questions answered.

Sat down on a couch directly opposite 330. “So… um… Peter showed me a photo album of his.” I said, hoping to provoke a response.
She didn’t look up from her book, but smiled. “He still has that old thing lying around?”
“Yes… and… um… I saw some photos of you in it….”
Still didn’t look up. “Really? I hope none of them are too embarrassing.”

Waited for her to say something more, but that was it. The silence lengthened, and just as I was going to press the question, Peter walked into the room.

“I-330! I didn’t realize you’d gotten back. Anything I can help you with?”
“Yeah; you still have those notes you made on the Necro’ a while back?”

From then on, the conversation became unintelligible to me. Sat on the couch awkwardly for a while, listening to the two toss around words I’d never heard. Didn’t know what to do, so I was relieved when I heard a knock at the door. Muttered that I’d get it, then walked to the front of the house and opened the door.

Didn’t see anyone outside when I looked; made me wonder if I actually had heard any knocking. Closed the door, turned around, and Holy Shit 330’s standing right behind me how did she sneak up on me without making a sound like that.

Wordlessly, she stepped past me and re-locked everything on the door. Then she started going to all the windows, and closed the blinds. I followed her through the house, not really sure what was going on. Every single window, even in mine and Peter’s rooms.

When she finished, I asked her what she was doing. She paused for a long time. Caught a brief glance of her face before she turned away; she looked… conflicted. Like she was arguing inside her head.

She turned back to face me, and put her right hand on my shoulder. “Lisa, it’s getting late. You probably should turn in for the night.”

Um. What? It was only 7:30. That’s… not exactly late.

Started to protest, but… couldn’t. She had this hard look in her eye…. Never seen her so serious before. “Just go to your room, and lock the door.” She said. “No matter what, do not come out unless I come to get you.”

I did what she told me to. I’ve been sitting here inside my room for about an hour now; nothing’s happened. Gave me time to write this. Don’t know why 330’s acting like this, but it’s really making me nervous…. And I still didn’t get to ask her anything….

-Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're okay.

    It seems like I'm forever saying goodbye.


    Hopefully when I get back, you will be alright.

    ReplyDelete