Friday, August 3, 2012

October 1, 1984 - Miskatonic University, Arkham, Part 1


77

I remember saying how fortunate it was that Miskatonic was in flu season. It meant that I could monopolize these Peter’s, Benjamin’s, and Sarah’s time while they could tell their professors that they were home sick.

But while a few students out sick is flu season, half the student body of the entire university sick is something else. And then Peter and Benjamin had to go and suddenly become deathly ill.

Well something was up here. It was time for an investigation!

Just as I was preparing to leave for the hospital to see if I could find anything there, when I ran into Sarah. Literally ran into her. I had to catch all the books that went flying into the air after our collision.

She didn’t seem to mind. “I330Ifoundsomething!” Her words charged out without a single pause.

“Great. Can you talk while walking?” She nodded, so I grabbed the Necronomicon and I resumed traveling to the hospital.

“This whole time I’ve been wondering why there’s so many discrepancies between the Necronomicon and everything else we’ve looked into, I mean it’s supposed to be one of the great occult tomes but nothing in it matches up with anything else, so I started researching the history of the Necronomicon itself, and I found this picture of the original copy of the Necronomicon when it was first brought to our library.”

She opened one book to a page with a large picture on it. I glanced at it, and, “That isn’t the same Necronomicon.” It really wasn’t. The book in the picture was a regular, if old, book. Nothing like the imposing tome which had a cover that seemed made of darkness.

“And it gets even weirder! According to what I’ve read, the British Museum, the National Library of France, Harvard, and the University of Buenos Aires all supposedly once had copies of the Necronomicon, but when I got into contact with them I was told that they had never had any book by that name.”

“Yeah that’s definitely weird. But everything about this book is weird; we need something to get through the weirdness.”

“I know I know, which is why I kept digging for stuff on the book, and I found this.” She fumbled through her stack of books until she pulled out a small journal. “This is the journal of Henry Armitage, head librarian for Orne during the 1920s and 30s. He’s the only librarian who mentioned the Necronomicon in his personal writings. It’s… also weird, and there’s a lot of context in here that we’re missing, but it’s more than we’ve found elsewhere. Here.” She opened the journal to an entry and handed it over to me.

The writing on the page was shaky, but still readable. Several coffee stains across it, more than a single cup would make.

“For many years I have recorded all manner of strange and occult within these pages, but never before have I found myself amidst such impossible occurrences. The suspicions which I have had for the past several days have proven themselves right: history itself is changing. Before my very naked eyes, I have born witness to the pages of books altering themselves as I read them, or pictures changing into new images in merely the time it takes for me to blink. And yet when I raise the issue of these alterations to my colleagues, I appear to be alone in my observance. None but I remember the original state of the world; for all others, this new history is the only which they claim to have known. It is as if I have fallen into a different world, appearing similar, and yet completely different.

It is only through the whisperings of the dark Pharaoh that I have retained my sanity. When I first heard his blasphemous voice echoing through my dreams, I was gripped by maddening terror. Yet strange as it sounds, the monstrous Pharaoh has become my last bastion of sanity in this new world. For he approached me not with torment, but with an offer.

Is a partnership of mutual benefit even possible with such a being? I have heard much of the Crawling Chaos’s manipulations, but I cannot help but feel that he is being forthright in his dealings this time. For if what he has whispered has even the scantest resemblance to truth, then I would gladly make any Faustian deal necessary to try and delay what is to come. The Pharaoh has shown me the new gods which have come to claim our world, and learning of them has filled me with terror beyond all imagining. I once confronted the spawn of Yog Sothoth himself, and yet the fear I felt then is nothing compared to the dread these new gods bring me. In the history I remember, we had a chance to at the very least delay our extinction, and when all else failed, we could find escape in the peace of death. In this new history, there is no escape. We cannot delay these gods. We cannot thwart their plans. Even oblivion can no longer protect us, for now death is only the beginning to an eternity of torture.

Already one of these gods has turned its attention to me. I can hear it hunting me whenever I close my eyes and dreams, the flap of its wings echoing through the corners of my mind every night. Only the protection of the Pharaoh has kept the thing at bay, and his influence is fast waning. We must act with haste if we are to save at least a small fragment of our world.

For that is precisely what we intend to do: create an island of the old world amidst this storm of change. The Pharaoh will merge a part of himself with the Necronomicon, and act as the key for the barrier which will keep Miskatonic University protected from this new world. While we cannot undo the changes already wrought, at least we may halt the spread of its influence.

It is clear that the Pharaoh is only doing this for the sake of self preservation. He has become prey for these godlike hunters, and even with all his power he cannot elude them long. A small fragment of himself trapped within a book is not much, but it may be the only way left to him to preserve himself. And here our interests align, for to keep this fragment safe, he must also keep the university around him safe.

The Pharaoh has whispered to me knowledge of the ritual needed to fuse him with the book. We shall perform it tonight, hopefully in time to prevent any further damage from occurring. This will likely be my last entry here, for once the ritual is performed, I will no longer be under the Pharaoh’s personal protection, and there will no longer be anything preventing the Dream God from taking me. But while my reward may be unending torment, at least I will have done what I could to protect my university. And so, this is my final farewell.”

We’d walked in silence as I had read. That was… well, that was a helluva lot of stuff coming from a few pages in an old journal.

“Well?” Sarah said.

“Well. You were definitely right about finding something.”

“Do you know what it means?”

“Not all of it. You were right about missing context. But I can make some guesses. We need a new plan. What we’re going to do is-”

She never got to hear my brilliant new plan, because as I was talking we stepped off campus property. And that’s when all hell broke loose.

I-330

No comments:

Post a Comment