Sunday, March 25, 2012

Our hotel just exploded.

That probably needs context.


Starting from the beginning. The reservations 330 had gotten for our… oh god was that a date? That was a date wasn’t it? I went on a
Focus. Stay on topic. Okay. Okay. The reservations 330 had gotten for our… date was at a place called Alinea. It was, without any doubt, the best food I have ever eaten. And the wine…. By the time we left, walking in a straight line was a feat far beyond my abilities. During the date, I wasn’t the best conversation partner. Too overwhelmed to talk much. Wasn’t until we were heading back and I had a few glasses of alcohol in me that most of the nervousness had drained away. It was in that state that I finally was able to ask the one question that had been bugging me this entire time….

“330… what is it you see in me? You’re so amazing, and I’m… ordinary. Not even ordinary, I’m worse than ordinary. If you hadn’t come I’d still be hiding in that house, until I died.” Except much more slurred and less coherent.

She laughed, put her arm around my waist, and took a swig from the wine bottle (she’d made sure to grab an extra one before leaving.) “Cause you’re smart, and nice, and brave, and pretty….” I have no idea who this strange woman 330 seems to have confused me with is, but I want to hear more about her and her many wonderful traits. 330 turned her face away from me, looking down the road. The next sentence came out in a cracked whisper. “And you’re the only one who can understand….”

Didn’t know what she meant. Don’t know what she meant. But I could understand the tone of her voice. Hugged her; she responded not so much by hugging but by clinging to me, as if afraid I was going to vanish at any second.

The moment was ruined when the sixth story of our hotel, less than a block away by that point, erupted in a ball of flame billowing outwards.

We ran to the car immediately. No. 330 ran to the car, while dragging me. I couldn’t move my feet right to run.

Took a lot of coffee to sober up, but I managed. Right now we’re… someplace. 330 doesn’t want me to post where we are. A place with wifi.

Guess I was right about the excitement coming to us.

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment