Friday, February 3, 2012

"Cannon Fodder"

After a long journey, we finally found ourselves at the site where Research Facility 09 was supposed to be. The two of us were on a hill a block away, scouting out the place with binoculars.

“330,” I said after thorough examination, “this is an elementary school.”

“Ah, you mean it is a secret CIA base cleverly disguised as an elementary school!”

I took another look at the place. “No, I’m pretty sure it’s an elementary school.”

If it was a top secret facility, then I’ll admit it was a damn impressive disguise. Can’t imagine how much work it would have taken to get hundreds of little kids to work along with the cover. Looking at 330, she seemed to be having some doubts as well.

“This is where it was supposed to be,” she insisted. “The records said it would be right here.”

“Well, the records were pretty old. Things might have changed.

She snarled. “I’m getting soft. Once I wouldn’t have let time get in my way like this.”

“So…. What’s the plan then? I don’t think that people would like us tearing apart a school in search of ancient artifacts which probably aren’t there.”

“I’ll think of something. In the meantime, we’ll stick around, see if we can pick up anything, maybe look up the local news archives for-“

She stopped midsentence, stood bolt upright, and snapped her attention down the road.

“330? What is it?”

”Get in the car.”

I’d picked up enough to know not to stand around asking questions in moments like that, and got inside fast as I could. Waited until we were driving before I asked what was going on.

“Grendel.” Barely could hear the name through her gritted teeth.

“What… where?” Looked out the windows, but didn’t see anyone like how I remembered him looking.

“Somewhere in the city. I can feel him here…. Like a big, throbbing infection in time.”

“What… What’s he doing here?”

“We’re going to go and find out.” The flash in her eyes was unsettling. And I couldn’t tell if she was grimacing or grinning….
We drove at what was probably double the legal speed limit through the city. Don’t think 330 even touched the brakes until we reached a part of town filled with rusting buildings and shady looking people. Car screeched to a stop only a few feet away from ramming the front door of an empty warehouse. 330 was out of the car in a second, with me running to keep up with her. Threw open the door, and shoved her way past the huge black man who was probably supposed to be a guard.

“Grendel!” The shout echoed through the building. “Come out, come out, wherever you are!”

Suddenly he appeared right in front of us, his red eyes flashing in the darkness, a huge grin showing his glaringly white sharp teeth, hair twisting and writhing like a mass of shadows…. For a moment, I was back in that alley, feeling his hand against my throat….

“Sweetheart!” Grendel shouted to 330. “We’ve been waiting for you! Good to see you in that eyepatch again, I must say, out of all your looks, it’s my personal favorite. “

I was still trapped in that past moment. Remembering being thrown through the air like a doll, feeling the hunger on his breath… My legs felt weak, and I would have fallen was 330 not there to catch me.

“Oh, I see the girl’s still in her more boring stage of life.” Grendel said. “Is she still upset about our little rendezvous in the alley? That was ages ago!”

“It was only five months ago!” I managed to shout.

“Well, for you, maybe.”

He shrugged, and suddenly seemed more human. Eyes didn’t glow with the same brightness, and the dancing shadows settled into more normal hair.

“What are you doing here, Grendel?” 330 asked.

“Why, the same as you. I’m here to break into a top secret CIA building and acquire for myself a wonderfully destructive item they have hiding in there.”

“How did you know what we were planning?” I asked, finding my voice once more.

“Because I saw you do it. Quite an exciting episode it will be; shame it won’t work out like you’re hoping.”

“What do you mean by tha-“ 330 cut me by holding up a hand.

“You know where the facility is?”

“Of course I do, darling. You think I’d do something foolish like come all the way up here without a plan, relying only on decades old information as a lead?” He laughed when 330 responded by sticking out her tongue at him. “Not only do I have the location, but I have also acquired a key card, codes, and a few fingers and eyes which are needed to get past various measures of security which will try to impede us. I even hired some cannon fodder, for a little added fun.” He waved dramatically around the room. “Oh, cannon fodder! You can come out now!”

If someone had made a book called “An Illustrated Encyclopedia and Thugs and Lowlifes,” the men who walked out of the shadows would have all been on the front cover.

“I believe you already met Rock.” Grendel pointed to the door guard, who scowled when he heard his name. “Rock’s something of a local celebrity from what I hear. There isn’t another for miles who’s snapped as many necks as him! And you just have to meet my personal favorite, Meatshield!” This time he pointed at the largest man I’ve ever seen. If this man had been launched into space, small planets would orbit around him. “Can’t for the life of me recall what his real name is,” Grendel continued, “but Meatshield fits him so well. Isn’t that right, Meatshield?”

“Da,” was the heavily accented reply.

“You have no idea what Meatshield even means, do you?”

“Nyet.”

“That’s my boy! Isn’t he great?”

330 was still glaring at him. I think. Or smiling. She has the weirdest facial expressions. “What’s all this for then? Does the mighty Grendel really need help just to clear out a single building?”

“Maybe I was just in the mood for a change of pace? Besides,” for a moment, his eyes were burning red again, “it’s a good idea to keep a few snacks on hand, lest I get hungry.”

Ooookay. That’s creepy.

330 looked as though she was about to speak, but Grendel went into another speech before she could. Interrupting seems par for course in these conversations. “So, whaddya say, honey? You, me, along with my minions plus your hanger on, all together for one big party over at Lupine’s place? We can kill so many people together, it’ll be just like old times!” Again 330 started to speak, but Grendel silenced her with finger at her lips. She made a grab at that finger, but he moved it away to quickly. “Hush now, my love! Now is not the time for words! Do not let them dilute the sweet anticipation for the bloodshed we shall bring about!” The finger was removed, and Grendel chuckled. “Pick you up at nine? Trust me, it’ll be a magical night.”

Then he was gone, with no sign marking his departure. The thugs had already left, slinking away in the distraction of Grendel’s monologue.

“Bastard’s always the same.” 330 said.

“What are we going to do about him?” I asked, hoping the answer involved staying as far from him as possible.

“We let him get us inside the facility. Then we grab what we’re looking for and get the hell out of there. Preferably before he suddenly decides to try and kill us. He has a habit of doing that, you should know.”

She started to walk to the car, but I still had questions. “The way he appeared, then vanished, and the way he talked about things. He’s a time traveler too, isn’t he?”

“Yes.” Short, curt, refusing to elaborate any further.

“You two have a history?”

“Yes.”

“Going to tell me any of it?”

“No.”

Wasn’t expecting anything more.

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment