Tuesday, January 1, 2013

November 9, 1888 - London, England

904

There was no investigation or hunting down the culprit this time. Jumped straight to the time and place of Jack the Ripper’s final murder, ready to confront Grendel and the Smiling Man. As before, I was forced to land some distance from the location, and ran the rest of the way there.

Certainly wasn’t hard to spot the place. The rooftop of the surrounding buildings were covered in night gaunts and other strange beasts, all silently watching the place. I slammed through the door, and looked through the rooms until I saw them. The last victim, Mary Jane Kelly, lying on the bed, while the Smiling Man and Grendel stood around her. Soon as I entered, Grendel flicked his wrist, and a sword made of fire appeared in his hand.

“That’s close enough, darling. Just stay where you are and allow us to finish our preparations.”

I looked at the sword for a while, and… and I had to laugh. “That’s the most threatening thing you can come up with? I love being from further in the future than you. Is this how you felt all those times you gloated at me with knowledge you had that I didn’t? Because it feels fucking great.” I grabbed the sword’s blade with a hand. It cut into my hand, creating a drizzle of blood, and the flames roared with a sudden increase in intensity, but it didn’t burn. “I’ve already fought against you when you used this. And to be honest? It’s even less impressive now than it was then.”

It’s rare to see Grendel speechless. I’m keeping his jaw dropped expression amongst my treasured memories.

Less treasured was Grendel’s response. “Smiley, now.” And before I could do anything, Mary Jane’s throat was ripped open by an unseen force. I threw aside Grendel’s sword and ran to her, but she was bleeding to death too fast for me to save her.

“And that concludes my business.” Grendel said. “Smiley, do whatever you want with the body.”

“Like hell I’m letting it touch her.” I said. “What the fuck kind of god damn present requires you to kill people like this?”

“Five sacrifices. Five points to the star of an Elder Sign. And with a little dimensional manipulation….” As he spoke, five red lights appeared behind him. He swung his sword in lines between them, leaving trails of fire that created a star. The center of the star fell away, revealing the nothingness of the Quiet. Grendel reached inside, and pulled out a glowing orb.

“Here you are.” He tossed the orb to me, and I caught it. It was the real thing. This was the orb I’d been sensing the entire time I was here.

“But... why?”

“Consider this to be my olive branch. While I may have my… disagreements with your younger self, I see no reason that the current you and I should be opposed.”

“Apart from the fact that you’re a completely psychotic lunatic who murders people for giggles?”

“Well, yes, there is that. But I’m sure you can look past that for the greater benefit of your own goals.”

“I’m doing just fine with my own goals, thank you very much.”

“Are you really? The Slender Man has been extremely active as of late. I doubt there are many leftovers from the old gods’ reign left in history. This is the first orb you have managed to acquire in quite some time. And even with this, you still need two more orbs and a map.”

“I can handle it.”

“Oh no doubt. Just like you’ve been doing so for the past few weeks. However… I do know where you can get what you seek. And I can get you them before the Slender Man destroys them. All I need is a little assistance.”

Glanced over at the Smiling Man cutting apart Mary’s body. “You have got to be joking.”

“Not this time, my love. For once our goals do not conflict. In fighting each other, all we do is let the Fears win.”

“Letting the Fears beat you sounds like a wonderful idea to me.”

“But it’s not just me that they’re trying to stop. They may have used you for their interests back when you fought me, but now they are just as opposed to you as they are to me. If we fight, then it is Lisa who suffers.”

“Keep her out of this.”

“But the Fears have already gotten involved with her. The Slender Man has tried to kill her several times. It even technically succeeded, just before we were born. And now it travels across time with the Manufactured Newborn, destroying the very tools you would use to save her. Even your ever helpful EAT has turned on you. The rulers of the multiverse now stand against you. My enemies and your enemies are one in the same.” He paused to let his words sink. “But we can help each other. I have already given you one orb; I can take you to the last two. I ask not for your approval, only your assistance. Together, I can help you save Lisa.” He held his hand out. “We worked alongside each other in a past life. Shall we do it again?”

I-330

No comments:

Post a Comment