Friday, November 11, 2011

The Slender Man

That’s what 330 called the thing I saw the other day. The name sounds too silly for something like that, but she’s the expert here. Didn’t tell me what it is, except that it’s a “monster, which will hunt down anyone unlucky enough to become its prey no matter where they run.”
That’s encouraging.

Even less encouraging was the lack of response when I asked what I could do about it. After asking for a while, she just told me she was “working on it,” but that was all. She’s been acting confident about it… but every night, I see her sitting by the front door, with the lights on, constantly on guard….

Right. So. I’ve got a faceless magical monster hunting me. Only a few days ago some people tried to shoot me. But surely 330’s going to figure something out. She’ll pull something out of her sleeve, right?

Oh god I’m so fucked aren’t I.

I didn’t want any of this. I’m not even sure how I got involved in any of this. Things were just going like they always had for me, then 330 showed up and everything went crazy. And I went along, because I didn’t know what else to do, and now I’m in a world with monsters running around, and people with guns, and people who use “I-330” like it’s a reasonable sounding name, and now I’m supposed to be the prey for some faceless monster…..
I never asked for this….

At least, 330 seems to be doing something. Don’t know what exactly, but it looks productive.

Not long after my last post, I learned that there’d been a small fire in Orne Library at Miskatonic. No major damage, just a few books burnt. But apparently those were the books 330 really needed. And they were the only copies available. So she decided that she needed an alternative method of getting the books.

Yesterday, she showed up at the motel with a big bag, then we drove (she just decided to keep the car those three who tried to shoot me were using) to some old abandoned house outside the city. Went down into the cellar, which had a door in the corner. 330 told me to wait there, while she pulled what looked like an oversized gun out of the bag. Asked her what it was.

“A grenade launcher. With a flashlight taped to it.”

Then she went through the door before I could ask where she’d gotten a grenade launcher. Tried to see what was behind it, but it looked pitch black to me. Spent an hour waiting in that cellar. Tried the door a few times, but the handle wouldn’t move.

Then 330 burst out of the door, carrying a book instead of the grenade launcher. She was panting, but smiled and gave me a thumb up. Guess her plan worked? Whatever it was?

When I looked back, the door was gone. Didn’t get a chance to dwell on it, because 330 was dragging me away. Just once I’d like for her to actually explain what she’s doing, instead of pulling me around the place so I can sit somewhere and watch her do stuff I don’t understand. At least this time she’s promised she will sit down and explain things to me. “Later.”

Damn it, that later had better come soon.

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment